Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Idealism Damaged

For all my idealism, I have days when I think I should just trash the whole show. I was reading an excerpt of a memoir in Ms. Magazine about a woman who hears a horrific abortion story from her grandma. A couple of weeks ago, I was reading in TIME about the Burmese Monk Protest being crushed. I just don't know how to handle humanity at times like these. I just cry. I don't know what else to do right now but cry. It breaks my heart to see so many lives wasted in the name of power, or decency, or secrecy, or whatever. And on days like this, I just want to stop. But stopping isn't an option, or at least not one that I could entertain in good conscience. It's just hard not to get mired in the hopelessness when I read things like this. Someday, I keep promising myself, I'll have the resources I need to help make things like this obsolete. It just seems like someday is an awful long way away.

2 comments:

mfranti said...

well you know me and there's always a spearhead song for every occasion.

go check your email.

shukr said...

Though your heart grow weary and you tire of life, o time-waster, this is one journey you can’t avoid.
- Rumi

I figured I should read back.lol.

Sigh. Here's to better days and more clarity. I always still ask for more...the well doesn't dry up, it just gives purer and sweater water .)