Thursday, December 27, 2007

Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Well shit. Shit, shit, shit. That's about all I have to say about it right now. I didn't know tons about her, I don't know how much about her corruption charges are true, I don't know much about Pakistani politics, but I don't see why anyone thought this was a good idea. What is going on in peoples' heads? Jeeze, people wonder why I'm so down on the idea of God. If he's telling people to do crap like this, then, "Thank you, I respectfully decline to participate." And I know that most folks don't believe God would really condone such things, but how many of the Big Three have wide scale war and terror in their histories? Let's be real. Whatever nut case did this, whether it was a political assassination or a terrorist, they probably were pretty sure that God wanted it to happen. So here's my question, is it really that they believe God wants it to happen or that their higher ups have serious control/power issues and so tell them that God wants this to happen? Then they go and do it because their religions have deprived them of the very critical thinking skills one would need to see the manipulation in such a request?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to say yes to all counts... ie, leaders tell them it is what god wants, so they think it is what god wants, because they haven't been taught to think critically about what they are told to do by their leaders...

thought that just popped into my head was Mountain Meadows Massacre.

"I was just following orders" that never protected any of the nazi war criminals in court.

what I wonder is if the leaders, the ones filling peoples heads with what God wants them to do... do they actually believe it? I kind of doubt it.

shukr said...

oh, I don't know. I can't believe it is always God motivated. It was really distressing news, for sure. Not for God though in this case, I'm certain. Even enemies of hers grieved her death as that of a sister.

Some people are mad though! Lost and devastated they do mad things for god.

I found a poem that reminded me of you.

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down--
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

x

Lessie said...

Shukr, that poem is wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it here for me. I may have to print it off, copy it in my journal, something to keep it accessible in real time. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Unknown said...

wow... that was beautiful.